Sunday, September 10, 2006

We all want a love bizarre

How did the weekend go by so quickly? I just finished compiling a list of people I’ll need to interview this week for a travel story I’m doing and the list seems a kinda daunting. I have a feeling I’ll be on the phone a lot. I’ve found that trying to e-mail people first doesn’t always work, so I prefer making phone contact first. The thing that I hate though is doing that very first call. I don’t know what it is; I’ve cold called for jobs before (and hated every minute of it) so it’s not like I’m green. I will do everything I can to avoid doing that first call, and instead of just getting it done I’ll suddenly have the overwhelming need to clean my workspace, or cut my nails or the dig all of the boogers out of my nose. These procrastination techniques can go on for about an hour, and then by that time I’ll feel guilty enough to call that first person, and then it’ll be fine. There’s just something about doing that first call that stresses me out, argh! So, tomorrow’s goal is to just get it done. I know I’ll have to call eventually so it doesn’t make any difference if I wait an extra hour or three.

It’s been a really mellow weekend. I didn’t go to brunch with Ms. C, but I did go to watch “Little Miss Sunshine” with Le Husband on Friday. I wasn’t as moved by it as I thought I’d be. Cons: I thought it was going to be funnier and I wasn’t that invested in the characters. Pros: The final dance scene with Olive and her family rocking out to Rick James’ “Superfreak”! It was moving enough to warrant a few plays of the song when I got home.

It’s weird to me that there are people out there in the world who aren’t moved to shake their bums when they hear “Superfreak.” Are they even hearing the same song I’m hearing? Another random song from a movie that’s been moving me lately is Sheila E.’s “Love Bizarre” from “Krush Groove,” which I tried to watch last week. It’s allegedly a cult classic … I don’t really know why because I slept through three-fourths of the movie, but Sheila E.’s performance of “Love Bizarre” moved me enough to stay awake for a solid ten minutes. I actually found a 12 minute extended mix of Love Bizarre and I almost could not take it (the original song is six minutes.) You could read both “The Iliad” and “The Odyssey” during the breakdown alone on that 12 minute remix. Then you’d still have leftover time to wax your upper lip hairs AND do an at home out-of-the-box hair color. Then you’d still have time to make Betty Crocker brownies. I’m not joking; that song feels three times as long as “Rapper’s Delight” by the Sugarhill Gang.

So here’s to another week and another new start! I hope this week is productive and that I get some good news on the go-ahead front.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home